My First Two-way Satellite Contact!

Today, Friday June 30, 2000 at 19:47 UTC with little fanfare I finaly worked
my first two-way contact via satellite. It was via UO-14, one of the
"simple" FM birds.

While it is supposed to be easy to work the FM sats, I have found by just
monitoring several passes prior to "jumping-in" that there seems to be a
wide array of operating styles in use on these birds and that there may be
some conflict between those who just want a chance to work a station or two
and those that seem to want to rag-chew during the entire pass. This would
seem to make it more of a challenge to those of us that would like to make a
quick exchange and stand by so others can do the same.

However, I was able to quickly inject my call and grid square a couple of
times and get a quick response from a station and complete the contact with
just a few short transmissions. I then stood by and listened while others
then attempted exchanges.

I would like to thank John, K6YK in CM-97 Stockton, CA. for replying to my
call. He provided a quick and courtious response, including a useful
operating tip advising me that I may be a little off frequency on the
uplink. A quick tweak took care of that and we completed the exchange. I
also want to thank the other stations that stood by while I completed the
contact.

My current station consists of an Yaesu FT-847 and a Comet CX-903 tri-band
vertical gain antenna. I ran the power output on the 847 at the minimum
setting and found it to provide plenty of signal for this bird. Now its time
to start planning and building more suitable antennas.

Again, thanks for the first satellite contact (and the bandwidth on the bb).
Looking forward to many more.

73'  Chris  WB6HGW  DM04uc