Re: Future problems???

on 6/27/00 5:17 PM, Francisco Costa at nop06152@mail.telepac.pt wrote:

> I know all bands above 2m are assigned to us on a "secundary
> basis", but so far I had the idea the amateur sat service was
> respected! Wrong! At least not anymore!
>
> FYI, the new Radio Navigation System by Satellite (GALILEO)
> is going to use:
>
> Downlink - 1164-1215 MHz
> 1260-1300 MHz  <----- 23cm
> 5010-5030 MHz
>
> Uplink - 1300-1350 MHz
> 5000-5010 MHz
>

> If you have a look at P3D band plan you will notice the problem...
> Not to mention the all terrestrial (mostly data) links!!!
>
> Now my question is: are we still on time to do something???
> Or do we have to resign...

Hi Francisco,

I don't know how much we have to worry about here.  First of all, Galileo is
a LONG way from happening and won't be up there for many years to come if it
ever goes up (do we really need a THIRD GPS type system??).

Secondly, we still have our shared, secondary status in those bands.  We
didn't "lose" anything.  Could there be interference problems?  Possibly,
but that could happen now.  The amateur satellite service while maybe
"respected" has no more a priority in frequency allocation status than
terrestrial use.

I don't think we need to be too worried here.  Slightly concerned, perhaps,
but not overly worried.

73,

Jon
NA9D