Re: IC-821 tech help

I am away from my 821 for 3 months so the following is from memory in
response to your questions.  I use the "Station" software.

>Here is what I want to know:
>1. Does it work ok?
Yes, it seems to work fine

>2. Are there any strange quirks?
Tuning with the computer seems to be  a bit confusing.  It is hard for me to
make a smooth adjustment.  I often make the adjustments with the rig by
turning off one or the other vfo displays.

>3. Does your software support "One true rule tuning?"
>   (i.e. you tune the receiver with the Main tuning knob not
>   a mouse or keypad and the software reads the VFO from the radio?

Yes, for example if you have in RX Fix mode and tune the rx frequency the TX
follows.

>4. Does the software use the FULL DUPLEX mode?

Yes
>5. Does the software need to know when you push the PTT button?

No, but I seem to recall that I can't make adjustments while transmitting.

>   I read the ICOM RadioDRV documentation and it seems to indicate
>   that if the software updates the TX freq while you are not transmitting
>   it confuses the radio.

I haven't noticed any problems with this
>6. Does selecting FM mode for the MAIN band under SW control cause the
>   radio to turn on FULL DUPLEX- mode?

I don't think so.  There is a ICOM menu command for this.  Contrary to what
ICOM seems to say (manual is a bit confusing on this) I find it works best
with the ICOM in Satellite mode.  I think it has to be in this mode if you
use the rig on the 9600 baud digital satellites.

Malcolm Preston, NP2L
AMSAT Area Coordinator, St. John, USVI