Ref: Digital is worthless

I hadn't intended to reply to your statements. but.   I put it to you
that NO means of communication is usable in any situation without advance
training and practice..  As an active ham for the last 21 years. I've
done just about everything that could be done with a radio, computer, and
antenna.  I've been Active with RACES for better than 15 yrs and was the
regional Mars Emergency Communication Director for almost as long.  If
the people that showed up to work digital, didn't, there is only two
reasons they were unable to .  They didn't know what they were doing, or
people such as you refused to break with tradition and let them have a
chance.  By the way your beloved CW is a digital mode.  If you don't
believe me check the ARRL hand book or the current Extra Class Exam.   By
the way I'll bet you can't handle 35 WPM cw.  I do it every day. as well
as 1200 baud  Packet, Pactor, Amtor , AND RTTY.

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:22:41 EDT K3ROJAL@aol.com writes:
> Field day was great for our club out in the open and on a hill in
> north
> Baltimore county. One thing was noticed when trying to operate APRS,
> packet
> and the sats.  Digital modes are worthless for any type of
> emergency, either
> simulated or contest setup. The time it takes to  get them setup and
> working

I can set up a packet station in les than five minuted and be on the air
within seven