Re: Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:59:38 -0500

"Cordill,Jim" wrote:

> Hi gang,  Thanks to the help I have found here, I have a working (somewhat)
> 9k6 pacsat station using a set of
> fixed omni antennas.  I am planning my next upgrade, a full az-el antenna
> setup to boost those weak S3 signal
> levels and improve the thuput.  This is a long shot, but does anyone have a
> yeasu 5400b that they would like to part
> with?   What antenna's would you suggest I get?  I am thinking along the
> lines of a 4 el 2m and a 6 el 70cm to start.

I built the 7 element (or was it 8) 70cm Quagi in the ARRL antenna book cut
for 436MHz using a length of 1x2 for a boom and Radio Shack "Ground" wire ( a
spool of 7AWG or so Al wire) which I used for the straight elements.  The
square driven element and the reflector were separated pieces of 12AWG
"Romex".  This antenna has low SWR and made all the difference to my HT.  I
got usable signal strength barefoot and horizon to horizon big time with a
homemade 10dB preamp.

Now if I can just get it mounted on an Az/El system and hooked up to my
FT-847...

73 and have fun building!

--
Bronson Crothers