Digital is worthless

Field day was great for our club out in the open and on a hill in north
Baltimore county. One thing was noticed when trying to operate APRS, packet
and the sats.  Digital modes are worthless for any type of emergency, either
simulated or contest setup. The time it takes to  get them setup and working
is not worth the effort at all. Computer screens cannot be seen during
daylight hours oudoors, various rigs will not work with just any TNC etc.
Our club has found that the only dependable means of communicating every
single time is the use of CW. A message can get through just by touching two
wires together if need be. Fortunately there is still much use of CW in the
HF bands where we racked up a very good score because CW contacts were worth
2 points this year on Field Day. The visitors that brought the digital
equipment to try and help our score had no expertise whatsoever in using CW
and had to just sit around and listen, ( we used them for the labor part of
breaking down ).  Anyway, is is terrible that many hams no longer are
interested in using the simplest and most reliable mode of communications.
Thanks