Re: Satellite FIeld Day!

a friend said he saw in cq magazine that they were recommending that for
operating the satellite on fd you need 100 watts. i think that is part of the
problem. people making statements like this and then those competing for
the amsat field day where you can work stations on all the birds, makes
them very busy.

i stopped working the satellites on field day. i make one contact for the club
to get their 100 points and then i make a couple when i get home for me.

i wanted to see on the last pass  of ao-27 just before field day was over how
much power these guys were running. i could not be heard with 50 watts. so
i turned on the linear and slowly raised the power. not even 150 watts would
break through. so i am not surprised that those trying for their only contact
would not make it with simple radio equipment.

in fact....30 minutes before field day started, there was a pass of uo-14. i
took my ht and pryme al-800 antenna and was demonstrating the satellite to
everyone that was there. those that had ht's were trying to listen on their
rubber ducks. it was amazing how much the little bit of gain that antenna had
compared to their stock radio antennas. i also made a handful of contacts. of
course, would never think of trying my ht and 2 watts during fd competition.

73...bruce

Houston, Texas                                or: kk5do@houston.rr.com
AMSAT Area Coordinator
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on TVRONet GE-4, T16 Upper, 5.8Mhz