Satellite FIeld Day!

What a difference a day makes!

Three days a week for the last month, I have been taking students out
doors to demonstrate AO27 and UO14.  We have about 6 handhelds ($88
ALinco's with chicken wire reflectors and 3 Kenwood D7's).  Its mostly a
receive only demo, but every single time I have keyed up my D7, HT, I
always make one contact, before continuing on with the students...

FIeld Day I took along the same 6 handhelds so that many people at our FD
site could see how easy it is to hear the donwlink.  I knew it would be
busy, but was amazed that even my 50 watts into an arrow not once did I
hear even a sylable of my uplink....

Thank goodness for SUNSAT who saved my bacon!  When it came over in
1200 baud packet mode on SUnday Morning, I QSL'ed 12 stations and N8DEU
QSL'ed mine. Thus, with the satellite points in hand, I was finally able
to eat the food without guilt!  WIth a total of 7 satellite radios and as
many antennas and a 60 foot pushup tower for APRS, I was getting a little
uneasy with my lack of success.  :-)

I had to leave early to get to scout camp, so I dont know how the second
SUNSAT pass went.  Hope many more of you got your QSO...  What great fun!

de WB4APR, Bob