Re: Oscar 0

Hello Mike.

24 Jun 00 14:51, you wrote to All:

 MW> A mission to Mars or the Moon sounds great but let's not go and put
 MW> all our "eggs" in one basket again like we did on P3D. How about
 MW> serving the "masses" first with a few "easy-sats" and maybe a few
 MW> Oscar 10/13 type satellites.
 MW>
 MW> Every one has said that we need more hams, well if we keep putting our
 MW> time, energy and money in "Super do everything new on one bird" we
 MW> forget about the little guy. He will never go beyond buying a HT and
 MW> Arrow antenna. If we had more of Mode B and Mode J sats like Oscar
 MW> 10/13 maybe more hams could afford to buy/build ssb rigs.

I think we need all kinds of satellites, LEOs, FM, linear and digital,
something for everyone.

 MW> While I'm on the soap-box, why don't we have a few sat's ( easy-sats,
 MW> Oscar 10/13 or all digital) built sitting in storage just waiting.

A mixture would be best.  I've only just started setting up for digital myself,
mainly for APRS.  For straight out operating, I much prefer voice, whether that
be FM or SSB (or perhaps digital voice one day in the future).

 MW> Just this year, how many rockets sent dummy loads into space? We as
 MW> AMSAT members should be ashamed of ourselves for not having SOMETHING
 MW> ready to go.....

It would be good if we could provide some of the "dummy loads" and use those
test shots to put up something useful.

Tony

.. You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.