Re: Oscar 0

Bob did raise a good point which I had neglected.

 Although the moon is a very poor reflector, it does capture a large amount
of the signal as it spreads out from earth.  The moon's diameter is about
3475 km.  If you assume a 100% "reflection" from the transponder with a dish
antenna with a surface area of 2m instead of the moon's diameter, the
pathloss would  be about -365 dB, much greater than the EME pathloss at 144
mhz.  The improvement in reflection adds about 11dB of gain but the decrease
in size adds about 124 dB of loss from the equations that I have seen.
Obviously the transponder would have to amplify the signal as well.

An EME station with 20dB (4 x 2.5 wavelength antennas) of antenna gain and
1500 watts experiences an echo to noise of about  8 dB assuming the moon is
in front of "quiet" sky.  THis is really the bare minimum to hear signals
off the moon often.

A station using a single yagi with  14dB of gain  and running 200 watts will
deliver 10 exp -13 watts to the transponder if the gain of the receive
antenna is 10dB.  If the transponder then amplifies this to 20mW a signal
will be delivered back to the station with the same signal to noise as the
bigger EME station.

In addition, a one watt transmitter on the moon with a 2dB gain antenna will
deliver a signal to a station with a single yagi with 14 dB of gain with a
signal to noise of about 17 dB.

I am interested if others would come up with similar numbers.  What type of
amplification can a transponder provide?  If it is limited, this would make
this unusable to even large EME stations.  Would a one watt beacon be a
better idea?

Scott

AC3A