RE: UO-36

Gentlemen,

Below are a few of Chris Jackson, G7UPN's recent postings.

If you are not running WiSP MSPE 2.00L you probably will not hear UO-36
unless someone else is and turns on the downlink. Please note you will
have to access your computer's registry to enable the software to turn
on the downlink. I have not done this myself, but I understand it works.

I apologize for not including the dates of these messages. They were
posted at the end of March and beginning of April.

73,
Duane Naugle, KO6BT
ko6bt@amsat.org

Due to the low power budget on UO-36 the satellite downlink is normally OFF.

I will release a new version of MSPE that has the ability to switch the
downlink on during the pass (hopefully later today).

73,
Chris G7UPN

UO-36 has a lot of systems, and all these consume power.  It has advanced
attitude and orbit control, a number of flight computers, and other systems
that can't realistically be turned off.  These consume a certain amount of
power and we can't change that.  The orbit UO-36 is in provides variable
power (from between ~50w OAP to >150W OAP).  When we are in the low power
season, we don't have much power to go around.

Power isn't cheap in space.  Solar arrays are EXTREMELY expensive.  We
therefore have a couple of options - leave 1/2 the spacecraft on the ground,
or live with the fact that some payloads only operate for certain times.
The later is standard practice on many missions (not just amateur).  Payload
operating times are modulated by available to ensure that the power budget
is maintained.

In the case of UO-36, I have chosen to let the satellite decide when it has
enough power, rather than simply switching the downlink off for long
periods.  The groundstation will send a request to switch on the downlink,
and if there is power available, this will be actioned.  If during the
operation the power level drops below preset levels, the satellite will
reduce consumption by switching systems off.

I hope this helps explain things...

Cheers
Chris G7UPN / ZL2TPO
UoSAT command station

The downlink frequency is 437.400MHz, uplink is 145.96MHz.  Broadcast
callsign is UO121-11.

Chris G7UPN