Re: AO-27 In Europe (fwd)

I heartily agree that the AO27 team should be congratulated.  AO27 has been
the starting point for countless satellite operators and continues to provide
fine service.  But I am a little confused by the following parts of the
message:

> Just anote to let you know that AO-27 is doing sterling service in Europe.
>  We get one pass late morning our time and another about 9 - 10pm.

Does the AO27 TEPR algorithm allow for night operation in Europe?  I thought
that the bird was sun synchronous and only turned on while descending from
the North pole.

>  A 2 metre ground plane and fixed vertical HB9CV antenna for 70cms with 25
>  watts max is working perfectly.

A 2 meter ground plane sounds fine for the uplink but can anyone use a fixed
70 cm vertical for the AO27 downlink?  I never heard a thing on AO27 unless I
was able to rotate the antenna to match the downlink polarity.

The characteristics sound almost like UO14 rather than AO27 (i.e. night
operation, simple downlink antenna.)

Lee Devlin, KØLEE  (K0LEE)
Greeley, CO
http://members.aol.com/lee810/ham.html