Re: An open letter to the Amsat Software authors

I hate to see VP9MU take a beating for making a choice to pursue other
activities.
On the other hand, I share the frustration we're addressing with respect to
unsupported software.

Perhaps a shareware mechanism that (a) kept source code open and (b)
rewarded those who made the most recent (and significant) contributions
would serve both programmer and consumer interests.  An author could take
the program as far as he/she wanted and, with the incentive of true
competition for donation dollars, any individual or group with the time to
devote could modify the program to support market demands.  If a programmer
decides they have to do other things, then users who have come to depend on
the software stand a reasonable chance of getting the support they need.

73 from 65 north!

Larry L. Ledlow, Jr.
KL7/N1TX n1tx@amsat.org
AMSAT Area Coordinator