Re: Mutek replacement for FT736

In a message dated 6/21/00 10:28:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tim_cunningham@mindspring.com writes:

> I am looking to make some upgrades at my shack and soliciting
>  some feedback from those who have had direct experience in
>  2 specific areas.
>
>  1. How well does the Mutek RPCB 736ub replacement kit help the
>      performance on a Yaesu FT-736R ?   Was the difference clearly
>      noticeable ?

Big improvement to a stock 736R. Most noticeable on 70 cm where the noise
floor is reduced considerably. One other major performance improvement is in
selectivity. It helps on satellite, where, on the stock 736R you can hear the
edges of a resonably strong stations many khz away. However the upgrade was a
major benefit in my VHF/UHF contesting where there can be KW+ stations all
around.

>  2. How well does the performance of the Yaesu FT-847 receiver
>      compare to the FT-736R on the 2M and 70cm bands?  If you
>      have experience in this area along with question #1,  I would
>      also like to hear how all three compare  (FT-736 with and without
>      the Mutek upgrade and the FT-847) ?

My FT-847 seems to hear as well as my muTek 736R. I can't address selectivity
issues because I've never used the 847 in strong contest conditions on either
2M or 70cm. If 6M is any indication, it's not as good. I have retrofitted my
847 with a 2.1KHz INRAD SSB filter which helped alot, but I still hear
blow-by which can effect AGC performance. During band openings on 6M I
usually end up running fast agc because normal doesn't recover fast enough
from strong adjacent signals. Once again, not too much of this on satellite.

Operationally, I prefer the 736R for analog and love my 847 for digital. Hope
this helps!

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
"And in the end, the claims you make are equal to the brains you bake." SSC