Re: field day

Graham,

It is nice to see that you are interested in making some satellite contacts.
  What you are proposing is fun, challenging, and rewarding.  To learn how
to do so in the next 3 days is pretty hard.  You may be smarter than me, but
it took about 2 years of encouragement and some help to make my first
contact.  I made that contact in late May.  There are a lot of others on the
bb who have much more experience, but being a new guy I know very well the
frustrations and joys of the first satellite contacts.

First, I strongly suggest going to the AMSAT Homepage and learning as fast
as you can.  It is at http://www.amsat.org.  Print out the document called
Easy Satellites.  It has been recently updated and is a very good
introduction.

The easiest satellites to use are the FM satellites.  However, they will be
VERY hard to use on field day.  RS 12/13 or FO-20 and FO-29 may be a lot
easier to use, but will require some equipment you will need to find in your
shack or from fellow club members.  For these birds you need SSB on 2 meters
and either HF (RS 12/13) or 440 (FO-20 and FO-29) It is important that you
be able to transmit on one frequency and hear on a second frequency (full
duplex or two radios).  Use headphones or you will start a feedback loop
through the satellite.

If someone in the club has an Arrow Satellite Antenna it would be the
easiest way (that I know of) to use a factory made antenna to make a contact
at field day.

I also strongly suggest working on your procedures and equipment  before
Field Day!  It will be much easier to make contacts at almost any other
time!

One word of caution, the FM satellites (AO-27 and UO-14) have very sensitive
ears!!  Only one conversation at a time can be held on the bird (like a 2
meter repeater)  It is considered impolite (and is illegal) to transmit the
2 meter uplink unless you can hear the satellite and know if you are
interrupting a contact.  UO-14 puts out a great signal which is actually
easy to hear with a mobile 440 FM rig or with a 440 handheld.  AO-27 is a
bit harder, and really does not sound good unless you have a directional
antenna.

That should give you a start.  (Even if the start ends up with a contact
next year at field day!)  Stick around the bb and keep trying and talking
and you will get this part of amateur radio mastered as well as the other
parts.  There are lots of people who would love to help.

Best 73s

de WS8G  (Rick)