Re: Re: An open letter to the Amsat Software authors

John Harrington wrote:

Aw heck, this is getting truly funny...  somehow a number of people are
confusing Uncle Bill's current bad business practices with our
insatiable
desire to become software pirates.... *NOT*

> Man, it is getting so tiresome to listen to jealous blowhards spouting
> off about Bill Gates.  The facts are, he's rich because he's smarter
> and works harder than most people.  My experience is that his loudest
> detractors are those who are very angry that they can't sit on thier
> backsides and get the product of his work for free.   For those whiners
> who have forgotten a very basic fact, nobody has to get 'soaked'- just
> get your software somewhere else.

You're obviously blind to the Microsoft way... how many years do you
think
that Uncle Bill convinced(forced) PC manufacturers into paying a fee on
every computer they sold for a copy of Microsoft OS whether the end user
wanted it or not?  Do you realize how hard this made it to get a PC
pre-loaded
with any other operating system (i.e. OS/2)?  That some users spent
hundreds
of dollars on alternate operating systems (prior to widespread usage of
Linux)
in order to get a more robust operating system despite cheaper Microsoft
products
being available (some might call this practice dumping, i.e. selling
their products
for less than cost to gain market share).

  Or write your own operating system-
> or use Lunix- or help develop GNU- or buy a Mac- or use a stolen copy
> of Windows.   It's a sad fact that some of the most vocal of the 'Gates
> ripoff conspirity' bunch are common thieves.  They complain bitterly
> of the price of what someone else paid for a product, while running a
> stolen copy themselves!

Actually, I've done all of those things... but nowhere along the line
did
it make me a software pirate.  Paid some large amounts of dollars for a
Macintosh
at the beginning of the 1990s because Apple clearly had the best
product.
Anybody else remember Windows 1 & 2?  Pure crap!  Bill's products have
improved through slow evolution, but they are still pretty awful when
compared with where they ought to be and when compared to the hardware
they run on.

>   Many of you are not old enough to remember
> back in the 70's when Microsoft was a small struggling company with
> only one product- a version of BASIC which ran on the MITS Altair
> computer.   The product was fast and efficient, and blew the socks off
> of every other BASIC around for years.   Everybody who knew about it
> wanted a copy,  but many just stole it.  One guy would buy a copy, bring
> it to the next club meeting, and give out copies to anyone who wanted
> one.  This practice almost ruined Microsoft.  Bill Gates published
> full page ads in the computer magazines reminding thieves that theft was
> illegal, and that it would only lead to software development people
> deciding to take up a different line of work where thier work product
> wouldn't get stolen.

Old enough?  Wanna bet?  <G>

If you were basing your livelihood on the total production of the
Altair,
you were seriously in trouble anyway... the RS TRS-80 sold in much
greater
numbers and would have been a much greater source of income.

>  How would you guys like it if someone helped
> themselves to half your pay package every Friday?  Bill Gates worked
> hard and applied his brainpower towards building the best software
> he could- and succeeded spectacularly.   Others might do well to emulate
> him rather than wasting thier lives becoming bitter old men, whining
> about being ripped off.    Flame away, whiners!   John  W5EME

Again, I don't see how this argument defends Bill being a liar and a
cheat...
I don't want Windows forced down my throat at every turn whether they
belong
there or NOT (PDA, test systems/instruments, embedded computers). I
don't want
Bill to give stuff away for free and force other companies' products out
of
the market (Netscape, OS/2) because in the end I'll have no choice but
to run his
buggy crap.  I'm tired of being forced into using his products at work
because
the corporate execs in top offices get huge kickbacks for using 100
percent
Microsoft products.  Especially when they call for the elimination of
Unix
workstations that I use to get the *real* work done.

Back to the original argument... professional programmers like to get
paid.
(Don't we all, ahem!)  Open source software requires a completely
different
method of thinking. There are different licenses than the GPL (i.e. BSD)
that
still allow the programmer to get paid for his/her work if that is what
he/she
desires. Using an open source operating system doesn't imply that you
will be
able to find all the software you need for free. I still purchase
products, but
I'm not forking out huge sums of money for the base OS and development
tools at
6 month intervals any more.

73
Mike N4CNW

-- Borrowed sig

Windows: Where do you want to go today?
Linux:   Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD: Hey, you guys coming or what?