Author: The Station Program
AMSAT-BDA

-----Original Message-----
From: Diggs, Steve
To: 'amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org '
Cc: 'ne1h@ne1h.dyndns.org'
Sent: 6/20/00 9:33 PM
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] An open letter to the Amsat Software authors (with a
little political incorrectness!)

Hello everybody,

I would like to weigh in on this issue. This is just my humble view on
things, nothing official. (See below)

Ever since Bdale Garbee gave his presentation at the San Diego Annual
Meeting regarding open source code for sat. applications and how AMSAT
is
effected, this issue has been on my mind. I haven't thought much of
Bdale's
Microsoft-bashing over the years, but I sure thought he was on the right
track with this new theme: AMSAT needs to exhibit LEADERSHIP in this
area by
approaching future software resale agreements strictly on an open-source
basis. The deals we have now are basically set, but that doesn't mean
that
shouldn't *ask* for the source, specially in the case of The Station,
where
the author has retired from supporting it. Want to talk about being
offended? How about the offensive way AMSAT felt it necessary to
announce a
disclaimer in advance of Bdale's presentation stating that "this was one
individual's opinion. Sheesh. Get a grip. I've gone to every AMSAT
meeting
since Orlando, and that's the first time *that* was done. EVERY one of
those
presentations are one person's opinion.

With that said, I clearly support AMSAT exhibiting technical leadership
in
the area of amateur satellite software. There are some <very> creative
and
dedicated folks out there developing and supporting software; I own most
of
it. Please keep up the good work, guys. AMSAT could start a new era by
accepting new donations using one of the existing open source
agreements. We
could also help ALL of the developers out documenting standard
application
programing interfaces and inter-process communication standards, so that
every new developer could build add-on modules to existing apps, or even
new
apps that were plug and play with existing ones.

Consider this the opening volley in an effort to fill a void our
organization has had for quite a while: we just can't seem to bridge the
gap
between the technically competent sat. users and the policy makers.  And
put our money where our mouths are, our budding little group of AMSAT
faithful here in Atlanta are prepared to take the lead.

I look forward to a continuing dialog on this subject.

Regards,
Steve Diggs, W4EPI
AMSAT Area Coordinator - Atlanta, GA