P3D wobble

I heard an explantion (well I think perhaps it was half of an explanation)
about the earth-sensor on P3D.  I've heard that the earth sensor is fixed,
like the earth-sensor on a spinning bird, and thus requires the satellite
to rock back and forth during normal operation in order to see the edges of
the earth, and thus sense the position of the earth.  (Actually, "rock"
gives the impression that this is a one-dimensional motion, but obviously
this involves rotation in two angular dimensions.)

Such rocking would obviously be controlled by software, and carried out via
the reaction wheels.  If this is correct, what will the period of this
rocking be?

I'd like the P3D experts to comment and fill in the story.