-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Allnutt [mailto:ws8g@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 12:26 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org

bbs,

I am one inexperienced newbie on the satellites.  I am just trying to learn
how to use them and need some advice from the gray-hairs.

As I have related, I first used the FM satellites with a 3 watt handheld,
and was able to make nice contacts when I slipped a word or two in-between
guys that might be using a bit more.  When I bought my FT-847, I admit that
I pushed more like 10 watts into the antenna, and (shame on me) it made it a

lot easier to be heard.  Fewer of the stations stepped on top of me.  I got
my 2-3 contacts in and left the rest of the pass to others.

That is mostly in the past, because I am mainly interested in the analog SSB

birds right now.  Because I am used to using about 50 W on HF, and the
signals from the FO birds sound weak, I have been using 50 W on FO-20 and
FO-29.  Funny thing, my signal sounds nice and clear when the bird is a
thousand miles away on the horizon, but it sounds terrible when above 30
degrees elevation (and is a lot closer.)

This puzzled me.  Then I think I began to understand.  I believe (but have
not yet tested it by dropping to 5 watts or so when the bird is well above
the horizon) that I may be overdriving the receiver on the bird and it can
not send me a reasonable signal back.  I hear myself, but the signal is
clipped and sounds like I have not found the right receiving frequency.  But

there seems not to be ANY right recieving frequency.

If I am overdriving the bird and disrupting my received signal, I may have
been causing the other ops in the pass band to have degraded received
signals as well. If I am at fault for disrupting your conversation over the
last week or so, I appologize.

Maybe some of the fades we hear on the bird are not due to rotation and
phase change.  Maybe some of them could be due to inexperienced ops like
myself.

Mea Culpa.  I will change my operating to much lower powers.
73s

WS8G (Rick)
(ws8g@amsat.org)