Re: Welcoming satellite newcomers

I second Garie's observations.  It was a little over a month ago when I made
my first satellite contact.  VE6EGN (Egon) was quick to welcome me to UO-14
and encourage me to make a contact with him on AO-27 15 minutes later.  We
completed that call as well.  Within the week I had settled down to making a
contact or 3 on most passes of the FM birds with my 3 watt handheld and
arrow antenna.

This was so much fun, that I decided to jump in head first and order an
FT-847 radio and try the SSB satellites and begin experimenting with
antennas.  I have made a couple contacts there, but have found it somewhat
frustrating.  I needed and received encouragement from the satellite
community in this as well.  Now, I almost have the technique down, and am
able to make more contacts than I miss.  I have not yet worked the digital
satellites, but look forward to trying.

Much of my energy can be directly attributed to VE6EGN's positive attitude
and encouragement.  I hope that KB8VQQ gets back on the birds and gets all
the encouragement we can give him!

WS8G (Rick)