Re: Brain-Dead ICOM IC-1271A...

Andrew MacAllister wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Question:  After replacing the Li cell on the RAM board of my ICOM IC-1271A
> (15 yrs on one batt isn't bad), the unit is "lost".  The display shows
> strange frequencies and doesn't respond properly.  Is there any way to fix
> this at home, or am I going to have to deal with ICOM to get back on the
> air?
>
> Comments from "those that have travelled this road" would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks & 73 de Andy W5ACM
>
> best e-mail is amacalli@danielind.com

Andy,

All of the Icom radios of that vintage (all of the x71 radios, the IC-745,
IC-751, etc.) stored their operating programming in volatile RAM memory, so
when the battery goes, they need to be reprogrammed by factory service.  I've
had some very good, fast service from Icom in the past -- and I've also had
some very poor, slow service.  Good luck!

Several years back a QST "Stray" short article mentioned a company that had
come out with a plug-in module that replaced the battery and RAM with a non-
volatile ROM, so the problem would not happen again.  I can't find that
reference right now, but if I find it I'll let you know.
--
Mark D. Johns, Cedar Falls, Iowa -- K0MDJ (EN32sm)
              http://pages.cfu.net/~mjohns/index.html