RE: I have an idea. Please read

> That is at 2 meters probably with some diffraction of the
> signal.  When you
> move that frequency to 70cm I don't think you will see that
> kind of range.
> I have worked 250 miles from 12,000 ft with a 2 watt HT on a
> rubber ducky
> antenna from inside the cabin, but again it was on 2 meters.

I did once slip a quick listen on UHF CB (477 MHz) from a commercial
airliner at 30,000 feet.  I could hear (from inside the cabin, where the
cut-off frequency of the windows is probably above 500 MHz), repeaters 300km
away in Brisbane, as we headed north towards Cairns.  The repeaters were
still there when I switched off (to avoid attracting undue attention).

UHF CB was the chosen band to monitor, simply because of the higher level of
consistent activity.

Besides, 300 mile radius.  Would be enough down here for a Melbourne -
Sydney link or a Melbourne-Adelaide link...