Re: Broadband for hams?

On Sunday (06/11/2000 at 01:39PM -0400), Lee810@aol.com wrote:
> The most recent 'lively' discussion on the amsat-bb was related to further
> promoting digital communications which generated more than 60 responses.
> (entitled "Going Digital....Ham Radio?)

[snip]

> I ran across a web site today (http://www.midcoast.net/wirelessfaq.html) that
> is just full of information generated by a local ISP who is quietly beating
> us to the 2.4 Ghz band with non-licensed power levels and antennas.  Just
> think of what we could do if we were able to pool together our resources and
> co-locate a broadband connection with an existing repeater tower.  We could
> have high speed, persistent Internet connections for any hams within line of
> sight of the repeater.  This would be especially nice for those of us who
> live far enough from town that DSL or even cable modems are never going to be
> an option.  Maybe this violates the 'spirit of ham radio'...but it seems
> silly to share spectrum with commercial services and deny ourselves the same
> privileges that non-licensed users enjoy.  The main benefit for us is that we
> could have better power and antenna systems (and hence greater distance).  We
> could have portable broadband Internet connections years before anyone else.

I would offer that we have alot of catching up to do in this area. There
are many companies now directly addressing this market need.  Specifically
they are building part 15 equipment to solve the "last mile" problem for
broadband connections to the end user.  The most interesting approach
I have seen (and have even invested in!) are companies who build this
equipment and sell it to cellular phone providers.  The cellphone
providers can deploy the stuff (license free) on their existing towers
(which are everywhere right?) and then offer highspeed Internet access
over these links.  Suddenly, cellphone providers are now also Internet
providers and people are getting highspeed access without involving the
phone company or the cable company.  Big win I think...

Here's a couple urls just for reference:

http://www.waverider.com/

http://www.ampwave.com/

--
Chris Elmquist