Re: CTCSS on FM satellites

Date sent:      	Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:19:49 -0400
From:           	"Miles Mann" <Miles.Mann@ind.alcatel.com>
To:             	"Ramon Santoyo V." <xe1kk@AMSAT.Org>
Copies to:      	amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject:        	[amsat-bb] CTCSS on FM satellites

> good question:
> > What happens if the FM satellites are reconfigured to use CTCSS tones?
>

> We have tested CTCSS on FM satellites, specifically
> the SAFEX-II Mir project.

snip....

unless you use ctcss encoding from the transmitter on the ground. then
the satellite would block any signal without the tone. but if you only use
ctcss to open the satellite's transmitter, then the offenders will come in
with you because you have opened it up.

in houston, we have a repeater that is on the same freq as a repeater in
bridge city (beaumont area). they use a 103.5 tone so that we don't bother
them. however, when there is ducting, they will turn our repeater on
because we don't have a tone. so we put a 123.0 tone on ours. problem
there was that once we opened the repeater, they would be heard. they
just couldn't bring ours up. we had to block the 103.5 tone from our
repeater so that if it is there and you transmit, you get clipped. a real pain.

we just need pirate filters on our radios. you know, the little button on the
front of the radio that says 'good signals only'.

73...bruce

Houston, Texas                                   or: kk5do@houston.rr.com
AMSAT Area Coordinator
ARRL Official Bulletin Station, Awards Manager (WAS, 5BWAS, VUCC), VE
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on TVRONet GE-4, T16 Upper, 5.8MHz