CTCSS on FM satellites

good question:
> What happens if the FM satellites are reconfigured to use CTCSS tones?

We have tested CTCSS on FM satellites, specifically
the SAFEX-II Mir project.
When CTCSS is enabled, the weak signal success rate drops.
You can compensate a little with delays, etc., but overall
weak signal stations get bumped and only Kilowatt stations
can then access FM birds with CTCSS.

The Pirate are not really trying to use the satellites, they are just
running simplex on the birds input frequency.

Miles