RE: AMATEUR SATELLITE MONITORING SERVICE

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your comments.

That QRM you mentioned is a pain in the neck.  I have just once worked UO
14. On other days, the copy is solid 5/9 conversations  on 70cm caused by
the tens of thousands hand held and mobiles on 2 meter input frequency.  I
don't know how this problem is going to be addressed,  and seems clearly
out of the hands of the national society, and possibly the administration.

73

Sangat, 9M2SS

At 09:54 13/06/00 +1000, Tony Langdon wrote:
>> The idea was first discussed at the IARU International Satellite Forum
>> held a few years ago at the University of Surrey. The basic idea was
>> that VHFers would monitor the Satellite allocation to monitor for
>> intruders  and then through their AMSAT organisation supply the
>> information to their Society's IARUMS for action.
>>
>> The idea, although I believe worthwhile pursuing, never took off.
>
>We definitely need it down here!  The pirates on 2m in some parts of Asia
>make UO-14 operation a pain. :-(
>
>The problem here is that the interference can generally only be monitored
>via satellite (by people who care), so some form of international
>cooperation would need to be worked out (and how does one weed out millions
>of unlicenced operators on 2m in a foreign country?
>
>The idea is good, but I have questions as to the feasibility, at least in
>the Asia-Pacific region.  Maybe is we launch a super Mode B bird with 1 kW
>downlink on 2 metres (and the obligatory horrible sounding beacon!)..... ;-)
>
>----

Sangat Singh, 9M2SS
Director IARU Region 3
111, Jln. Terasek Lapan