RE: AMATEUR SATELLITE MONITORING SERVICE

> The idea was first discussed at the IARU International Satellite Forum
> held a few years ago at the University of Surrey. The basic idea was
> that VHFers would monitor the Satellite allocation to monitor for
> intruders  and then through their AMSAT organisation supply the
> information to their Society's IARUMS for action.
>
> The idea, although I believe worthwhile pursuing, never took off.

We definitely need it down here!  The pirates on 2m in some parts of Asia
make UO-14 operation a pain. :-(

The problem here is that the interference can generally only be monitored
via satellite (by people who care), so some form of international
cooperation would need to be worked out (and how does one weed out millions
of unlicenced operators on 2m in a foreign country?

The idea is good, but I have questions as to the feasibility, at least in
the Asia-Pacific region.  Maybe is we launch a super Mode B bird with 1 kW
downlink on 2 metres (and the obligatory horrible sounding beacon!)..... ;-)