Re: I have an idea. Please read

Fernando,

I believe that I am the one that mentioned the dirigible (again using solar
cell and batteries to keep this on station). I think a dirigible may be a
totally workable and cheap solution. It may be a perfect "first pass" at
this project. It may also be the perfect solution for my overall goal. But,
I also think an aircraft is a far more interesting and challenging
engineering exercise. It is almost certainly a much more expensive exercise
also. I do reject standard balloons as not having the ablility to stay on
station for any useful amount of time. I am not against standard balloons in
the slightest as far as a very useful learning tool. But they aren't capable
of doing what I am interested in doing. Please don't paint me as
anti-balloon. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I am looking for a
way to create a useful system that will allow amateur communication (24/7)
in very remote areas (with handheld equipment)  where terrestrial based
repeater systems are either undesirable or impossible to implement. Or in a
disaster area where urgent communication over large areas may be needed.
Upon looking at possible ways to accomplish these tasks I can see these
solutions also offer many other possilbilties. I also believe that the
technical expertise needed to accomplish this is available in the amateur
community. These would be low maintinance systems that would have a large
amount of automatic capabilities that could stay on station for months at a
time.

Keith
N1XTK