Re: Subject: APRS Tiny-Web-Page Examples

At 10:23 AM 6/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
 >At 06:20 PM 6/10/2000 -0700, you wrote:
 >>Subject: [amsat-bb] APRS Tiny-Web-Page Examples
 >
 >Questions about the Kenwood TM-D700A rig---
 >
 >Does the built in TNC support KISS mode operation? (so that a user could
 >operate a laptop running Wisp with KO-25 for example)
 >
 >Does it do cross band/full duplex packet?

Yes and yes.  I have been very disappointed with the reviews of this radio
that have appeared in the ham magazines because they have not discussed its
performance at all in doing digital satellite work (aside from, perhaps,
APRS).  The two questions that remain are whether the filters are wide
enough to permit high data rates on the UoSat-class satellites and whether
the 5 kHz steps are adequate to tune the radios for high speed digital
satellite downlinks.  Note, I'm not asking  whether it is possible to
receive data from 9600 baud satellites (that has been demonstrated).  I'm
asking whether if you hook this radio up to a good set of antennas, whether
you can achieve respectable data rates (say above 90%) on a high proportion
of each orbit.

I bought one of these radios at Dayton and one of the things I've been
meaning to do (but haven't found the time yet) is to hook it up to my KLM
40cx to see what kind of data rate I can get from it.   I'll try to get to
this during the coming week.

If anyone has already performed this experiment, it would be helpful to a
lot of folks if you would post the results... or better yet, write it up
for the AMSAT Journal.

John W2FS