Re: RS-12 Question

Dave,

You have the uplink and downlink definitions switched. You transmit up
to the satellite on the uplink and listen to the downlink.

RS-12 (technically RS-13 for the past year or so) has a downlink in the
upper portion of the 10 Meter band, 29.460 - 29.500. If you have a General
Class license, you can receive here (in fact you can use all of 10 Meters
with a General Class license).

The only sticky part is your uplink, or transmit frequency. RS-13's Mode-K
uplink (21.260 - 21.300) is in the Advanced portion of the Phone band. If you
have a General Class license, you cannot transmit in this portion. Only
Advanced or Extras can.

Look into using the 2-Meter Mode-A uplink (145.960 - 146.000). Anyone with
a Technician Class license or higher can transmit in that band. Even though
the downlink is in the General Class-or-higher portion of the 10-Meter band,
the FCC is only concerned about what frequencies you transmit on. Therefore,
Technicians can use RS-13, even though their signal can be heard in the
10-Meter band. If they use Mode-A (transmitting on the 2-Meter uplink) they are
perfectly legal.

73,

Mike, N8MR

At 09:09 PM 6/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I was reading an article on RS-12, which has it's downlink in the middle
>of the 15 Meter Advanced and Extra portions.  My question is this...
>
>I have a General Class license, and have full priveledges on the uplink..
>Is this typical repeator logic wherein, as long as where I'm transmitting
>is legal, it doesn't matter where it's being rebroadcast?
>
>An article on the AMSAT Website eludes to this not being the case.  Can
>someone clarify?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave
>
>----