RS-12 Question

I was reading an article on RS-12, which has it's downlink in the middle
of the 15 Meter Advanced and Extra portions.  My question is this...

I have a General Class license, and have full priveledges on the uplink..
Is this typical repeator logic wherein, as long as where I'm transmitting
is legal, it doesn't matter where it's being rebroadcast?

An article on the AMSAT Website eludes to this not being the case.  Can
someone clarify?

Thanks,
Dave