Re: I have an idea. Please read

Or imagine a more mundane design but with remote controlled aircraft
flying up with more fuel... In flight refuleing... Old tech (the way the
navy does it)... but it works and would be fun for the pilots..  THis way
the COMM Drone could be much more conventional in design...

de WB4APR, Bob

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Keith Randino wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is my response to everyone as best as I can for now. Check out the web
> page listed below. This aircraft flew in 1998. It is expected to fly at
> 100,000 feet with a 600 pound payload for 6 months at a time. This definetly
> can be done. As with any engineering project, knowing that it has already
> been done always makes things easier. Now we need to see if we have an
> interest in doing it. The technology is available off the shelf albeit new
> and expensive. We would need to find ways to cut corners and make it
> cheaper. The advantages of this over a balloon launch is that it could stay
> over the same area for months at a time It could also be landed and
> relaunched and set up for a different mission, to another place, or just to
> make repairs and do routine maintainance. I also believe that you could link
> them and create a huge area coverage repeater system. I don't need to go
> into all the things that this could do or be used for. I think that there is
> enough imagination on this board for that. What we need to do is figure out
> if we have the will to do it as we did with P3D.
>
> http://www.aerovironment.com/news/news-archive/helios1.html
>

> By the way, I haven't discounted the possiblity of a dirigable type device
> with solar powered motors performing the same job. With appropriate devices
> for allowing it to stay at a certain altitude (again above 60000 feet) over
> the same basic location. Much cheaper and maybe a better way to start. It
> may be more difficult to keep this on station though.
>
> Respectfully,
> Keith
> N1XTK

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html