Re: I have an idea. Please read

Hello everyone,

This is my response to everyone as best as I can for now. Check out the web
page listed below. This aircraft flew in 1998. It is expected to fly at
100,000 feet with a 600 pound payload for 6 months at a time. This definetly
can be done. As with any engineering project, knowing that it has already
been done always makes things easier. Now we need to see if we have an
interest in doing it. The technology is available off the shelf albeit new
and expensive. We would need to find ways to cut corners and make it
cheaper. The advantages of this over a balloon launch is that it could stay
over the same area for months at a time It could also be landed and
relaunched and set up for a different mission, to another place, or just to
make repairs and do routine maintainance. I also believe that you could link
them and create a huge area coverage repeater system. I don't need to go
into all the things that this could do or be used for. I think that there is
enough imagination on this board for that. What we need to do is figure out
if we have the will to do it as we did with P3D.

http://www.aerovironment.com/news/news-archive/helios1.html

By the way, I haven't discounted the possiblity of a dirigable type device
with solar powered motors performing the same job. With appropriate devices
for allowing it to stay at a certain altitude (again above 60000 feet) over
the same basic location. Much cheaper and maybe a better way to start. It
may be more difficult to keep this on station though.

Respectfully,
Keith
N1XTK