RE: Going Digital... Ham Radio?

Well put Art.  I agree with your synopsis on equipment that is not used.

I work in a mission critical data center, in which we have backups of our
backups.  In all cases, there are more than 2 backups to every system.  Is
it costly?  Absolutely, but we also know that with that cost, comes the
security of knowing we will never go down.

One of the principal focuses of this project (Which I will never claim full
ownership of, because that would just be outright arrogant) imho is that we
create an entirely wireless network, in which the internet has nothing to do
with it.  That is why I described it as a private IP network.  At no point
did I ever insinuate that there wouldn't be Internet gateways, however, my
principal concern is that of keeping everything free of current
infrastructure, that would go away in the event of any natural or man made
disaster.

The internet is only international, because a great number of countries have
allowed it to be so.  At the first sign of disaster, I wouldn't be surprised
if all the sudden, countries started falling off.  This is also true for
anything that we as Ham Radio operators would be faced with, however, the
reality is, we don't work for a government agency, and we more often than
not, take the high road when it comes to emergency traffic, regardless of
what Big Brother wants.

It has always been easier to apologize than to get permission....

With that in mind, remember that the idea here was to create our own Wide
Area Network, that would be a viable tool for communications in time of
emergency, which is what all Ham Radio operations prepare us for.  When you
get past the fact that most of us treat our radios like an over glorified
CB, that's what it's purpose truely is.

So we chew a little sat time...  The reality is, most of the traffic would
be handled by terrestrial networks.  What I'm seeing, is that the reason
this hasn't happened so far, is that too many people want throw a wrench in
the spokes instead of coming up with creative ways to share our precious
resources.  It seems that if we were to utilize our current Pacsat birds,
and maybe a little help from P3D, and maybe just a little help from
something placed on ISS...  We wouldn't take too much from any one pot, and
then it would satisfy everybody.

Stepping off of soapbox....

Dave, N8KXA