Re: Going Digital... Ham Radio?

At 03:30 PM 6/7/2000 -0500, Jeff Davis wrote:

>PSK31 seems to be the heir apparent to RTTY not so much because of its
>narrow efficiency (which is amazing) but because users get to "chat" in real
>time. This business of "dropping a message" into a bulletin board, packet
>mail box, store-and-forward, etc. is just not ever going to be popular again
>given the ubiquity of Internet email.

This is NOT true!!  I guess I will have to send this "store-and -forward "
" email message"

  It is not live so I guess this message is almost like packet. You send
out your message to your isp and it sits there until the party you sent it
to logs on and gets it .

>The number of people who are willing to invest significant dollars in
>equipment and obtain a federal license to send a file, picture, or other
>non-real time data at the "whopping" rate of 300, 1200, 9600 or even 38k
>baud via ham radio is amazingly small and getting smaller daily....

I guess it all depends where you live and how much work you are willing to
do as to how fast a network there is going to be for regular packet. In
Florida we are still building and improving our system We even have a few
bbs's that have sat gateways running.

What I would like to do is have the  users of my bbs be able to run
something like wisp and have my bbs act something like the sat does. Anyone
have any idea as to what it would take to run "SAT" type software on a bbs?
Now if you want to talk about increasing speed on a system, all you have to
do is run full duplex and you will increase your speed a whole bunch!!!

>73,
>
>Jeff Davis, N9AVG
>AMSAT 28350

73, Bill N4XEO