Re: Going Digital... Ham Radio?

Jon Ogden wrote:

> > Additional newer, more robust, Amature Satellites could be used as a
> backup for
> > the internet.  In the past there have been massive power outages due to
> solar
> > activity.  The Amature Service has stepped in to help with emergency
> > communications.  Hardened Amatuer digital satellites using reliable
> amatuer
> > data transmission techniques could be of use transmitting data in such
> > situations.
>
> With the advent of ham satellites using off the shelf components, I think
> the term "hardened or robust amateur satellite" is an oxymoron.

I did not mean to imply that the current generation of satellites was
hardened.  It is clear though that despite the crudeness of the components
used in amatuer statellites and in some cases the ambitious experiments
attempted, they perform quite well for long periods of time in extreamly
harsh environments.  I think this is a tribute to the designers and the
protection afforded by LEO satellites being so much closer to the earth.

The term robust applies to the some of the modulation (PSK) techniques which
have very good SN ratios compared to others.  I would also apply the term to
the controllers who manage the satellites and keep some of them running
despite devestating systems failures.  Doing so with "shoe string" budjets
and limited resources speaks well for a more abitious attempt to harden the
entire system.

--
Bronson Crothers
LASST