Re: Going Digital... Ham Radio?

>Additional newer, more robust, Amature Satellites could be used as a
>backup for
>the internet.  In the past there have been massive power outages due to solar
>activity.  The Amature Service has stepped in to help with emergency
>communications.  Hardened Amatuer digital satellites using reliable amatuer
>data transmission techniques could be of use transmitting data in such
>situations.

Yay, Bronson!  Bill Burden, WB1BRE, up in your neck of the woods gave a
talk on the subject in connection with ARES, and I have an article in the
1999 AMSAT PROCEEDINGS advocating just such measures...   Bill and I have
been proposing this for years, but to my knowledge ARRL has never
sanctioned this officially.....I guess unless the profit motive is there, a
lot of good things never get done....