Re: Going Digital... Ham Radio?

Jeff Davis wrote:

> Let's not lose sight of what we have learned: users want real-time, person
> to person communication, and voice modes are preferred. So lets get on with
> digital voice technologies.
>
> PSK31 seems to be the heir apparent to RTTY not so much because of its
> narrow efficiency (which is amazing) but because users get to "chat" in real
> time. This business of "dropping a message" into a bulletin board, packet
> mail box, store-and-foward, etc. is just not ever going to be popular again
> given the ubiquity of Internet email.

A good summary of usage I feel... However.  I for one appreciate a store and
forward messaging system.  I use one everyday, I call it email.  For most
practical messaging needs it is the way to go.  But I do not consider Amatuer
Radio and Amatuer Satellite work practical or efficient.  I shudder to think of
the money and time I have devoted to the activity.  Still it is much less than
my boating friends spend and their activity is just as impractical and
inefficient....

> The number of people who are willing to invest significant dollars in
> equipment and obtain a federal license to send a file, picture, or other
> non-real time data at the "whopping" rate of 300, 1200, 9600 or even 38k
> baud via ham radio is amazingly small and getting smaller daily....

This is a shame.  In any case I will continue to build this capability into my
station.  I am very interested in BPSK at whatever baud rate.  I would also
like to be able to recieve telemetry from any spacecraft that transmits it
(DS1, Cassini, Mars Surveyor, Hubble, ISS... whatever).  I look forward to
being able to deposit a message on a Satellite and see who recieved it on the
next orbit.  Efficient?  No.  Practical? No.  But the process of getting to
that point, building the circuits, modifying the equipment... I just wish there
were more hours in a day.

Additional newer, more robust, Amature Satellites could be used as a backup for
the internet.  In the past there have been massive power outages due to solar
activity.  The Amature Service has stepped in to help with emergency
communications.  Hardened Amatuer digital satellites using reliable amatuer
data transmission techniques could be of use transmitting data in such
situations.

If we put our minds to it we can make whatever we want of our satellite
systems.

--
Bronson Crothers
LASST