Re: Going Digital... Ham Radio?

Bob, Jon, John & Lee
    This noon time discussion has been the most stimulating communications
thinking I have seen recently. Along these lines, just point someone like me
to the sources of equipment capable of simply giving me wireless access at
something like my current 28.8 dialup rate (out in the hinterland the only
other choice is PC Direct Sat.;which we use); back to my desktop and I'll
order today. I agree there is much that can be done with current speeds, but
it seems like years ago when I heard of hams playing with higher data rates.
When I was a charter member of TAPR, living in Tucson (W7EGV) I would have
bet we'd be farther along by now.
    Bob, reading your post on the Hansen concept made me pull up his article
on TAPR and it reminded me of when we were all hot for those early sat.
ideas and Price making his comments at that AMSAT meeting in Des Moines that
current terrestrial methods would not suffice. So moving from there, is it
your position that given decent content and John's RadioMirror type of
streaming; we could drag some hams kicking and screaming into wireless
reception instead of desktop viewing? I see people wanting that untethered
information in the real world. I am convinced that wireless delivery to
WinCE devices is going to be huge, but the content is the key and I wonder
if that need for content is sufficient to provide the necessary impetus in
the niche we are talking about.

Gun Steele WØGUN
SYNERTOOL

Gun Steele