RE: Going Digital... Ham Radio?

>2.  Develop high speed terrestrial networks.  This is the area that could
>potentially attract Linux devotees and people from places like APANA into
>ham radio.

I'm afraid its going to require larger bandwidths and/or orthogonal
modulation schemes to achieve data rates that can even come close to today's
commercial systems.  Neither of these is currently legal in the Ham Bands

>Do you really call this AMATEUR packet radio ??
>For me, it's a COTS (commercial-off-the shelf) packet radio system.

Unfortunately, in an effort to rescue the hobby, it no longer requires the
technical knowledge or the interest in experimenting to become a Ham Radio
operator.  Today's Hams expect "Plug and Play" or they won't go near it.

John - W9EN