Re: Going Digital... Ham Radio?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Richard Parry wrote:

> I disagree with his comment about not being able to find information on the
> web about packet radio. I submit he has not looked or doesn't know how.
> Bob, I agree with your comments about going digital, I merely disagree with
> his comment about finding information.

I dont think it matters.  Sure every word ever written about packet radio
for the last 22 years is out there.  ALl you have to do is look.  But its
the old drinking from a fire hose problem...  Where does one begin..?
That's the hard part.

> > > From: [not published, but with permission]
> > > Bob,
> > >
> > > I really enjoyed your Op-Ed published in June's QST "Going Digital".
> > > I'm one of those hams who knows nothing about TNCs and how to use them.
> > > I've been searching the Internet and asking around and have yet to find
> > > a comprehensive source for information on it.  All I want to do is
> > > connect my computer to my HT and connect to other hams doing the same.
> > >
> > > The lack of information seems to be pervasive.  I'm a member of a newly
> > > formed club of hams working at Microsoft in Redmond, WA and when I
> > > suggested that a monthly meeting be dedicated to a demonstration of
> > > packet radio, we found that nobody in our 80 member club had either the
> > > equipment or the experience to present the topic....
> > > Sincerely
> > > [name on file]
> >
> >If HAMS at Microsoft are not familiar with Packet Radio, then it is easy
> >to see why we are where we are today with amateur packet radio...  With
> >all the world going digital and Now that Kenwood and ALinco are making
> >off-the-shelf integrated 1200/9600 baud systems, AMATEUR PACKET RADIO IS
> >ONLY BEGINNING!
> >Lets reach out....
> >
> >de WB4APR, Bob
> >
> >----
>
> Rich Parry, W9IF

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html