Going Digital... Ham Radio?

Packet Radio Affectionados,

   We have had packet radio for 22 years and yet we are seeing a decline
of digital operations on HAM radio (with some exceptions) at the same time
that we are seeing an Explosion of Wireless digital applications in the
consumer market.

We are not doing a good job of promoting nor explaining what digital
is all about.  The following message I received says it all...
(The PUNCH LINE is the second paragraph!...)

> From: [not published, but with permission]
> Bob,
>
> I really enjoyed your Op-Ed published in June's QST "Going Digital".
> I'm one of those hams who knows nothing about TNCs and how to use them.
> I've been searching the Internet and asking around and have yet to find
> a comprehensive source for information on it.  All I want to do is
> connect my computer to my HT and connect to other hams doing the same.
>
> The lack of information seems to be pervasive.  I'm a member of a newly
> formed club of hams working at Microsoft in Redmond, WA and when I
> suggested that a monthly meeting be dedicated to a demonstration of
> packet radio, we found that nobody in our 80 member club had either the
> equipment or the experience to present the topic....
> Sincerely
> [name on file]

If HAMS at Microsoft are not familiar with Packet Radio, then it is easy
to see why we are where we are today with amateur packet radio...  With
all the world going digital and Now that Kenwood and ALinco are making
off-the-shelf integrated 1200/9600 baud systems, AMATEUR PACKET RADIO IS
ONLY BEGINNING!
Lets reach out....

de WB4APR, Bob