Re: FM - APRS Satellites

Tony, Bruce,

Great words, especially the 'LISTEN' bit!

You should try operating in Europe. The other night we even got someone
playing music, an act I still hoped was solely dedicated to the odd
terrestrial repeater.

Although I've worked the FM sats in Europe, I had the opportunity to watch
an AMSAT demo at Dayton. Far more gentlemanly. I almost thought the demo was
rigged!

The order of the day in Europe seems to be Power, Power and more Power on
the FM sats which is a shame. I therefore only rarely operate on the FM
sats.

Regarding the FT-847 operator (aka a 'silver-spooner' like myself), I had my
radio six weeks before I got my first downlink, and that was on RS13. It
took another two to get a QSO. I think that a very large amount of the
problem for me was getting aquainted with the radio. In my opinion, this
radio has a very steep learning curve for the beginner if you seriously want
to use it on sats. Lots of buttons to get the knack of. IMHO, a beginner
(such as I was) would be better off cutting his/her teeth on a separate
simple transmitter and receiver. Now I've got the knack though, I wouldn't
give up my '847.

There were times during my first six weeks when I really thought I was going
to be a listener on the sats for the rest of my life! Patience, as always,
is a virtue.

73, Howard G6LVB