Re: BEST satellite radio

Black wrote:

  >This is not true in the case of the '821. It is exactly the opposite. I
  >transmit on the sub-band and receive on the main band.

Long's reply:

I knew this would come up. I have never had an 821 but I believe the
following is true.

Some people think that with the 821 vis-a-vis the 820, you can transmit on
the sub band and receive on the main band.

I don't think that is really true. Icom made only minor changes with the
821. With the 820 you always had to receive on the sub, which also meant
that the receive used the small digit display and the lcd s-meter among
other compromises inherent in the sub-receiver. Some people didn't like
that. So I think that with the 821 they configured it so that you still use
(must use) the internal sub-receiver electronics for receive but you can
configure it so that you see the 'main' display, that is the one with the
large digits and the mechanical s-meter. In other words they just swapped
the displays.

When it comes to IF filters and some other features this is important to
know, and makes some limitations compared to really being able to use the
main receiver for downlink and transmiting on the sub.

Can someone prove me wrong? I would like to know.

ron long w8gus.