Greetings from AK

I am in Juneau right now and have worked many stations from aboard a cruise ship in the inside passage.  I am on the inaugural geek cruise (www.geekcruises.com) called the Perl Whirl.  My satellite antenna is a big hit and I have activated 5 new grids some of them so rare that even Randy, N7SFI has picked up 4 new ones in the process.

Today I was working UO14 and got interviewed by a writer from Wired Magazine who was fascinated with the whole concept of using an FM satellite to talk with hams all the way down in the lower 48 as well as a few of the AK regulars.  He snapped a ton of pictures and hopefully it will merit a blurb in Wired.

I hope to be able to activate a few more new grids before we return.  Thanks to all of you who have jumped in and made the demo that much more interesting to the bystanders.

I have not connected to the Internet from the ship, because it costs $.50/minute.  Phone calls are $8.00 a minute (!) and this does not go unnoticed by the people who have stopped by to watch me chat with my ham buddies from the deck of the ship using an HT. I am connected to email from a cyber cafe in Juneau where the cost is much more reasonable.

Today we flew up the Taku River to a camp where we had a Salmon cookout and looked at quite a few glaciers from the air in a DeHavilland Otter.  So far, it's been a blast.

Also on the cruise are Steve, K4HG of APRServe fame (www.findu.com) and Steve, N4RVE (www.microship.com).

If you worked me and want the QSL cards, just send me a card or email.

73,

Lee, K0LEE
http://members.aol.com/lee810/ham.html