RE: FM - APRS Satellites

> bob does a great job with his aprs. but i would like to
> remind all those that
> have not operated through a satellite before that you
> ***MUST*** hear the
> downlink before you even think of keying your transmitter. If
> you do not hear
> anything on the downlink, then you are either listening to the wrong
> frequency, the wrong satellite or have your pass times wrong. The LEO
> satellites are extremely busy birds and at any one time,
> there are no less
> that 25 people on them. If you transmit without hearing any
> of these people,
> then you will be causing QRM.

I have to second this.  I have heard many stations over time come up and
clobber a QSO in progress, because they couldn't hear the downlink.  The
other night, after a UO-14 pass, I caught one of those stations and had a
friendly word with him, offered a few pointers and he's going to work on his
station and give it another go. :-)

> Today, there was a person calling CQ on UO-14. (not an aprs
> problem) You
> knew that he could not hear the downlink because if he did,
> he would have
> heard the dozen or so that came back to him. I found his
> email and sent him
> a polite notice about hearing the downlink before he
> transmits. He responded
> that he had a new Yaesu 847 radio and was new to satellites
> and did not
> know how to get the receive to work yet.

We have a few stations here on both of the FM birds that seem to have
downlink trouble.  It only slows up the pass for everyone else.

Anyway, I did write a piece on this topic last year.  People may be
interested in http://www.qsl.net/vk3jed/satiquette.html, to pass onto
prospective and new FM satellite operators.