Converter/transverter for 2.4 GHz

I've started looking into my options for operating Mode L/S on Phase
3D.  For a 1269 MHz uplink, I've decided on a VK5EME transverter, with
the additional amplifier modules to bring the power to 10 watts.  This
transverter can also easily do double duty for weak signal work and
contesting.  Should be a good construction project for the cold months
ahead (it's the start of winter in VK, and it's hit with a bang). :-(

For the 2.4 GHz downlink, I am yet to locate a suitable design that can
be obtained in kit form, or something (e.g. like those Drake converters)
that can be modified to do the job, at low cost and is available in
Australia.  Transmit ability would be a bonus (would get a bit of
terrestrial use here during contests), but initially, receive only would
at least get me started testing on the 2400 MHz satellite beacons that
are up there, while awaiting P3D's launch (and a suitable transmitting
converter).

Any ideas and comments would be appreciated.