Re: Arrow Antenna Split Boom, cut different ?

Thanks, I meant to look up your Email and send y ou this comment, but am
just totally swamped and so it was easier to just reply to that comment.
I think you hvae a GREAT product, so I wanted to let you know a little
tweak that I thought was useful...

Thanks.  I cut it just above the middle 2m element and put the copper
insert in the TOP half.  Thus, I dont have to carry around that weight
when I am only using the bottom half.

Thanks!
Bob

 On Thu, 25 May 2000
Arrow146@aol.com wrote:

> Hello, Bob
> Your right Bob, we made the cut only for making the boom a smaller
> size for packing.
> We had not thought of using the antenna as a half size.
>
> This is the first I have heard of anyone doing it.
> We still sell the antenna with a full length boom,
> so anyone can cut it how they like.
> I will have to think about that.
> We will see if we get any requests for a boom cut that way.
> Thanks for the info.
>
> 73 Al Lowe N0IMW
> Arrow Antenna
>

> In a message dated 5/25/00 8:35:34 AM, bruninga@nadn.navy.mil writes:
>
> >From day-one I cut my Arrow in half since it is overkill on the digital
> >birds.  Thus, I can use the lower half as 4 elements on UHF and 2 elements
> >on VHF.  If I need more gain, it takes only 2 seconds to stick on the
> >upperhalf.
> >
> >BUT I WAS AMAZED to see that the way Arrow now sells the "split" boom
> >version, they cut the boom at the 3rd UHF element so you cannot even use
> >it in its HALF configuration.  The only thing you can do with the lower
> >half the way they did it is to use 3 elements on UHF and only the VHF feed
> >dipole which is now then drastically missmatched.
> >
> >By cutting it right above the middle 2m element like I did, you get a
> >fully usable HALF-ARROW.  I leave this half fully assembled on my
> >dashboard of the car and it is great for receiveng the birds including
> >the
> >9600 baud digital ones to my THD7 HT.  If I need to transmit, I stick on
> >the driven element and reflectors.  Still quite usable..
> >de WB4APR, Bob

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html