Re: Ant. Alignment and the Moon

Dear Tony and friends,

If the error that you are seeing is about 10 degrees, then perhaps your
antenna is aligned for magnetic north instead of true north.  In the
Northeastern USA, the difference (sometimes called "magnetic deviation" or
"magnetic declination") is in the range 10-12 degrees.   You can find your
magnetic deviation at
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/seg/gmag/fldsnth1.pl.

All satellite tracking programs present their pointing azimuths relative to
true north.

Nova for Windows provides Moon, Sun, planet, etc. positions that are
accurate to <0.2 degrees.

73,
W9IP

--
Michael R. Owen, Ph.D.                      Dept. of Geology
Northern Lights Software Associates         St. Lawrence University