Re: Sunspot??

----- Original Message -----
From: Keith O'Brien <n4zq@ij.net>
To: AMSAT-BB <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 8:24 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Sunspot??

> Today from EL88 at the Dunedin Marina, Dunedin Florida, I watched one
of the
> most exquisite sunsets I've have witnessed in some time. Facing west,
when
> the sun reached the top of the trees on Caladesi Island State Park
across
> the intercoastal waterway, you could look directly at the sun without
having
> to squint your eyes.

Hi Keith,

In the past several months, there have been at least two periods when
I've
enjoyed watching one or more naked eye-visible sunspots or sunspot
groups
rotate across the face of the sun.   I have not checked in the past few
weeks,
as prospects have not been good, so can't say whether current spots are
large enough to be visible.

However, looking at the sun without KNOWN adequate protection is
inviting
disaster...even when it seems dim, so please be careful.   I use a #14
welder's
glass purchased some years ago for $4 for this....it's said to be safe,
but use
no less than this.   I've had mine since the last sunspot max.

'Best to use specific viewers or filters otherwise, available at
reasonable prices.

73,

Steve    W5ZA

Shreveport, La.